In observance of the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought (17th June 2020).
The webinar will discuss the feasibility of moving the SOC agenda into action and how RECSOIL can contribute to it.
Increased soil organic carbon (SOC) has been identified as one of the most cost-effective options for climate change adaptation and mitigation, as well as combating desertification, land degradation and food insecurity by the IPCC’s special report on climate change and land. Maintaining existing SOC stocks and enhancing SOC sequestration through sustainable soil management (SSM) practices constitute a feasible solution to offset a portion of global emissions while providing multiple benefits for the environment, people and the economy. While there is substantial scientific evidence that soils could play an important role in the current global challenges, there are still some uncertainty and risks for moving into action and scale up. FAO and its Global Soil Partnership (GSP) have established "RECSOIL: Recarbonization of global soils" as an initiative to move the SOC agenda into action using the best tools and technologies available while being aware of the associated uncertainties.
15:00 - 15:15 | OPENING REMARKS
- Dr Qu Dongyu, FAO Director-General (tbc)
- Mr Ibrahim Thiaw, Executive Secretary, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- H.E. Carlos Manuel Rodriguez, Minister of Environment and Energy of Costa Rica
15:15 - 15:25 | Status and challenges of global soil organic carbon sequestration – Prof. Rattan Lal, Distinguished University professor of Soil Science and Director of the Carbon Management and Sequestration Center, The Ohio State University, Ohio, USA
15:25 - 15:35 | Is soil organic carbon sequestration really feasible? How to scale it up? Prof. Pete Smith, Professor of Soils and Global Change, Aberdeen University and Science Director of Scotland’s ClimateXChange
15:35 - 15:45 | Soil organic carbon sequestration: experience from the ground,Ms Maria Beatriz Giraudo,Farmer from Argentina
15:45 - 15:55 | Unlocking the potential of soil organic carbon: RECSOIL, Ms Rosa Cuevas/Mr Ronald Vargas, FAO
15:55 - 16:25 | PANEL SESSION - Moving the SOC agenda into action:
- H.E. Aslak Brun, Ambassador Permanent Representative of Norway to FAO (tbc)
- Ms Arianna Giuliodori, Secretary General, World Farmers Association
- Mr Eric Fernandes, Global Lead, Technology-Innovation-Climate Smart Agriculture, World Bank Group
- Ms Valeria Forlin, Policy officer, DG Clima, European Commission
- Mr Barney Debnam, Strategy Lead Agriculture at Microsoft
16:25 - 16:30 | CONCLUSION, Ms Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director General Climate and Natural Resources, FAO
Moderator: Mr Eduardo Mansur, Director Land and Water Division, FAO
Date 17 Jun 2020